This page is designed to describe exactly what a wind rose does! In addition, an example wind rose which was made using excel is compared to a wind rose which was produced using WRE v1.4. Please click the here if you would like to make a free wind rose in excel. Alternatively, if you need to produce a more professional wind rose diagrams, please click here.
What is a Wind Rose?
A wind rose diagram is a tool which graphically displays wind speed and wind direction at a particular location over a period of time. Each ‘Spoke’ shows:
- How often the wind blows from that particular direction
- How often the wind blow at pre-defined wind speed bins for each wind direction
Interpreting a Wind Rose
In Diagram 1 above the spoke pointing towards west shows the following information:
- The wind blows from the west (a westerly wind) 12% of the time at location x
- westerly wind speed information for location x:
- 1% of total time the wind blows at 0-2 knots from the west
- 1% of total time the wind blows at 2-3 knots from the west
- 1.5% of total time the wind blows at 4-6 knots from the west
- 3.5% of total time the wind blows at 7-10 knots from the west
- 3% of total time the wind blows at 11-66 knots from the west
- 1% of total time the wind blows at 17-22 knots from the west
- 1% of total time the wind blows at >23 knots from the west
What is Possible using Excel?
When presented with the data required to make a wind rose, the best excel can do is produce a radar plot as shown below:
Using a standard radar plot in excel, it is possible to create the above. However, it is not possible to create the ‘spokes’ that are industry standard for wind rose diagrams. In order to produce spokes, WRE v1.4 is uses complex VBA coding. A a result, the following diagrams can be produced:
What is Possible using WRE v1.4?
- The software transforms the layout of the standard excel radar plot into a precise graphical design.
- The appearance the the plot is greatly improved, adding credibility to your report writing.
- Included in the new WRE 1.4 package is a data sorting tool. This will guide you through the process of sorting your data into wind speed bins and wind directions (see more info here).
- We have been selling Wind Rose software for the last 5 years. We are able to answer any questions you have in our support forum once you have purchased the software.
- We provide the most complete, cost-effective solution on the market.